Two in Thailand

After raising three children and watching them graduate from college, Bob and Carol decided to leave the educational field and pursue a dream that had been put on hold for 35 years (since graduationg from the University of Northern Iowa). "Two in Thailand" is the journal dedicated to that dream - to serve in the Peace Corps. This is a personal blog. The opinions expressed within do not necessarily represent the views of the Peace Corps or the United States Government.

Monday, March 17, 2008

Ceremony at Baan KhoKlaan




Carol and I were given a ceremony at Baan KhoKlaan School (the village where we lived for two years). Bob was presented with a Thai silk shirt that had the name of the school embroidered on the sleeve and Carol was presented a beautiful hand-made shawl. We were then blessed during a 30-minute Thai ceremony. At the conclusion, the parents got out of their seats and sat near us before individually blessing us.

5 Comments:

At 11:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know they will really miss you guys. You have truely made such a big difference in the time you have been there. tbs

 
At 3:35 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

It is amazing to see the amount of sincere respect they give you and that you in turn give them...what a special gift.

 
At 5:16 AM, Blogger KaewAndLake said...

I'm for one will definitely miss seeing you guys, especially when you be coming into the Peace Corps office with your hugs and smiles for me always! My only regret are not having as much the time I wanted to have to actually seen you guys in action...All I know is that you have became a legend within Peace Corps Thailand, and in my book the Peace Corps world. Thank you is not enough, but thank you sincerely from the bottom of my heart for what you two have given to our nation's children and their teachers...You've given those you touch a brighter future than anyone will ever know. I love you guys --- with tears --- We shall meet again! It's a small world...

O.P.
PS, I wish for more Volunteers like you two...you've made my job EASY!...BUT then again, that's why I rarely had a chance to visit you in your community!...See you guys again,,,...

 
At 11:46 PM, Blogger Sadie said...

It was actually the picture of the kid crying that put me over the edge...I couldn't help the tears that came from my own eyes after that. Knowing that you touched those lives in that way is really truly something special I hope you two know what an inspiration you have been to everyone you have encountered here in Thailand, volunteers and Thais alike. Thank you so much for being such good representatives and I wish you the very very best when you return to the States

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger smgreen said...

Hi Bob and Carol,
I am a student at the College of Charleston and was wondering if I could get your email hopefully? I am doing a paper of cross-cultural teaching and I think your blog has been very amazing and insightful and I want to write about both of you teaching in Thailand. Please let me know if you would be interested in letting me email you a few questions, I would so very much appreciate the help.
Sincerly,
Sarah
smgreen@edisto.cofc.edu

 

Post a Comment

<< Home