Two in Thailand

After raising three children and watching them graduate from college, Bob and Carol decided to leave the educational field and pursue a dream that had been put on hold for 35 years (since graduationg from the University of Northern Iowa). "Two in Thailand" is the journal dedicated to that dream - to serve in the Peace Corps. This is a personal blog. The opinions expressed within do not necessarily represent the views of the Peace Corps or the United States Government.

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Introducing an American Game - Kickball




Since Thailand students really enjoy soccer ("football"), I decided it was time to infuse some American culture into my teachings. I had kickballs delivered from the U.S. and I was anxious to teach the sport while also introducing a little English. ("How many outs?" "How many runs?" "You're safe!") My co-teacher and I briefly described the game and then took the students outside. I had to laugh when I discovered "safe" did not translate to "Bplawt pai" which means safe in Thai. The kept yelling "yuu dai" which means "you can stay". I did this 4 times at each of my schools and am now nursing extreme sunburn to my face and arms. January in Thailand can be HOT!!!!!!

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 5:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

MJ says: Glad to see they liked the balls!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home