Two in Thailand

After raising three children and watching them graduate from college, Bob and Carol decided to leave the educational field and pursue a dream that had been put on hold for 35 years (since graduationg from the University of Northern Iowa). "Two in Thailand" is the journal dedicated to that dream - to serve in the Peace Corps. This is a personal blog. The opinions expressed within do not necessarily represent the views of the Peace Corps or the United States Government.

Saturday, December 09, 2006

A Visitor from Italy



On his way home from school, Bob found a young gentleman from Italy sitting down near the police check point (which checks for Cambodians and illegal shipments of weapons). He could not find a place to stay and the next "big city" didn't have any hotels.
He has been biking for 3 months through Southeast Asia. He started in Singapore and traveled through Malaysia, all the way up through southern Thailand and into the Thailand mainland. Nicholas (who speaks very good English) ended up spending the night with us. Carol fixed him a great Thai meal and we treated him to a hot shower and a bed with a mattress. This was a great improvement over his past experiences (sleeping on wooden floors or the concrete floors of a temple along with dogs and chickens). We wish him a safe trip to Laos. Note: Nicholas, you left a ring at our house. e-mail us and we will mail it to you.

9 Comments:

At 6:14 AM, Blogger CHIC-HANDSOME said...

good picture

 
At 11:29 PM, Blogger Nicolas said...

I'm not sure if the message I typed earlier was sent to you or not, anyway, a warm thanks for the indeed very much enjoyed meal and confort you provided me with, it is something I have been lacking of for the past few months.

Thank you also for publishing the picture on the web, this is as close to fame as I ever got to, and I'll surely direct my friends to it being this, the first picture of me on my bicycle tour that any of my friends may be able to see, including my wife.

As for the ring I had been wondering whether it had been at your place that I had forgotten it. I had been realising in the past few days before meeting you that maybe I should have matured a sense of self less reliant on vanity and the ring was a bit symbolic of this issue, maybe having forgotten it isn't all that strange. Anyway, I'm sorry having to bother you for it, I'm not sure how I can help but here is a few options I can think of:
1 you can send it to me, I'll provide you with an address
2 You can give it to someone who'll feel happy about it
3 You can keep it until I come and see you in california!!
4 You can wear it if it suits you (it is an Indonesian ring)

Whatever the option take the one that suits you better. Let me know, until then

Arriverderci
Nicolas

 
At 11:30 PM, Blogger Nicolas said...

by the way my email address is:
babalo99@yahoo.com.au

 
At 2:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to see he's okay. Thanks for taking care of a stranger in need. It's good to know that people like you are still around.

 
At 11:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ciao nico!!!non so se leggerai questo messaggio ma non sai che piacere sapere che stai bene..soprattutto che stai bene!!!
grazie per il tuo diario di bordo che piano piano sto cercando di tradurre..oh!nico nico stai attento eh!..mi raccomando...un bacione grande grande..la tua sorellina giubbiditta!

 
At 2:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

luigi, Nicolas friend
ciao Nicolas
sono: contento di vederti in forma.
esterrefatto per le foto che ormai ti rendono famoso.
tifoso del tuo viaggio.
le altre cose non le scrivo qui.
cerca di stare bene, e di bene in meglio.
luigi

ps thanks to patrick i knew this blog; thanks to blob's owner. joy for everyone

 
At 7:51 AM, Blogger MJ said...

So cool that all the above could enjoy your visit!

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger kristin elizabeth said...

What a great experience! These are the stories I love to hear...Where in Italy is Nicolas from? My mom and I will be in Florence at the end of January for 10 days...can't wait! :)

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger kristin elizabeth said...

What a great experience! These are the stories I love to hear...Where in Italy is Nicolas from? My mom and I will be in Florence at the end of January for 10 days...can't wait! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home